Now that the UK has fully left the European Union, there are multiple ways in which the business landscape has changed. This simple post-Brexit guide for business owners will help you to stay in the know and remain compliant. 

Sponsor licenses for staff 

Any workers who move to the UK will need to do so in line with the new immigration policy. This ensures that they are eligible to work in the UK under new legislation. As a result, your business may need to obtain a sponsor licence. 
Thanks to the remote working revolution, many businesses are choosing to offer remote positions. These allow the employee or contractor to work without requiring a visa or work permit. However, it’s best to give us a call on 01482 235575 to go through the finer details before recruiting any new workers from overseas. 

Business travel outside the UK 

Brits are now being treated like any other non-EU national when travelling to the EU. This means that you and your employees may require a visa or work permit if planning to either stay for longer than 90 days in a 180-day period, transfer to another branch of your company, or trade in a country where your business doesn’t have a presence. 
On top of this, you will need to make a customs declaration if you take goods to sell or use for business purposes. A declaration will also need to be made if you take more than £10,000 in cash with you. 

Accessing data from the EU 

Any data originating from the EU that can be used to identify an individual (such as their name, address and payroll details) may now be inaccessible without the proper arrangements in place. 
The EU formally adopted an 'adequacy decision' in June 2021, which means that it considers the UK’s GDPR system to be sufficient. As a result, you can generally continue to use GDPR to safeguard data flowing from the EU but some types of data (such as information used for immigration control) come under different rules. Meanwhile, there is no regulatory change for transfers of data out of the UK. 
If this affects you in any way, get in touch with TreyBridge today and we can talk you through it. 

Providing online services to the EU 

Even online services have been impacted by Brexit, as they now need to comply with the requirements of any European Economic Area (EEA) country you operate in. UK business owners are no longer exempt from these rules under the eCommerce Directive. 

VAT and custom duty on exported goods 

When exporting, UK VAT usually does not apply to goods (they are classified as zero-rated). However, the receiving country may charge its own VAT and/or customs duty to the recipient, so it’s best that you find out whether this applies before trading. 
As always, we can talk you through the ins and outs of VAT to ensure that you’re always in the know. 

Ask us for post-Brexit advice 

Need expert advice and support in regard to importing, exporting, tax, VAT or anything else relating to your business following Brexit? Call our Yorkshire office on 01482 235575, our London office on 0207 885 0605, or fill in the contact form below. 
Tagged as: Small Business Help
Share this post:
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings